Subject: bug#57372: no-toolkit menu popups do not respect emacs font configuration

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2022 22:28:23 +0300

> From: Tomas Hlavaty <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2022 20:54:24 +0200
> 
> On Wed 24 Aug 2022 at 19:32, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >> TTY menus seem fine except the extra > in menu-bar overlaps the next
> >> menu-bar item text.
> >
> > That's by design, btw.
> 
> Strange design.  Say I want to open the Edit menu.  I press F10 and
> suddenly I cannot see the Edit menu anymore.

??? The drop-down menu also hides part of the window's text, doesn't
it?  More generally, _something_ has to be hidden, because this is a
text-mode terminal: the menu cannot move outside of the frame, where
it wouldn't overlap any of the windows.

So why is it important that the Edit menu is hidden, but not that the
whole text below the File menu is suddenly unreadable.

> What about doing it differently?  For no-toolkit Emacs, it would be
> enough for me if the menu simply opened a *Menu* buffer with the
> relevant menu items.  All those issues would suddenly disappear.

That already exists: use tmm-menubar.