Subject: bug#57372: no-toolkit menu popups do not respect emacs font configuration

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2022 15:27:39 +0300

> From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2022 20:11:54 +0800
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > Displaying pop-down menus with our display engine is "tricky", as the
> > TTY menus experience amply shows.
> 
> Indeed, though it should be easier if each pane is a separate frame.

Frames are a bad basis for menus: they (the frames) are too
heavyweight for a menu, so the resulting menus will look ugly.

And there are other issues that make this unattractive: e.g., how do
you make a frame unmovable (which is required for sub-menus)?

If we want good-looking menus independent of any toolkit, we should
try to find a small library capable of producing them on popular GUI
platforms.