Subject: bug#57372: no-toolkit menu popups do not respect emacs font configuration

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2022 14:23:20 +0300

> From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked]
> Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2022 18:56:17 +0800
> 
> Tomas Hlavaty <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > Would it be possible to change it so that even this popped up menu text
> > font is not determined by X resources but by the usual emacs face
> > mechanism?
> 
> No.

Well, "no" is never correct when we deal with software ;-)

But yes, it should be quite a project.  The basic problem here is that
menus are not displayed by the Emacs display engine, they are
displayed by a separate code (which we "stole" from X11).

Displaying pop-down menus with our display engine is "tricky", as the
TTY menus experience amply shows.