Subject: Re: bug#57372: no-toolkit menu popups do not respect emacs font configuration

From: Tomas Hlavaty <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2022 09:13:55 +0200

On Thu 25 Aug 2022 at 22:02, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Frequency is not that relevant.  Convenience is relevant.  It should
>> happen after key press.
>
> This is an exaggeration, and as such, not useful.  It is unreasonable
> to expect everything be done at a keypress.  Infrequent operations can
> be less convenient than frequent ones, because that inconvenience
> basically happens once in a blue moon.

It happens as frequently or as rarely as the user chooses to press the
relevant key.  In other words, it is under control of the user, not
somebody else.

>> It is not something I invented, it is important use-case and pretty
>> much essential part of GUI programs these days.  Try for example C-+
>> and C-- in firefox or xfce4-terminal.
>
> When I do that in Firefox, the displayed text is resized, but not the
> menus or the tool bar.

True.

I gave the example because it seed to me you did not understand why
would somebody want to press C-+ or C-- to resize font instead of
changing a configuration and restarting.

Now I see that you mean specifically the Firefox menu.
Well, the Firefox menu uses a widget toolkit.

no-toolkit Emacs is not supposed to use a widget toolkit as far as I
understand it.  I was hoping that there would not be an alien library
with all the negatives of alien widget toolkit, or in this case even
worse (XMenu does not respect my desktop font settings, font
configuration is inconvenient, it looks bad and is unreadable by
default).

>> > I guess I don't understand why one would need to change the size
>> > frequently, especially the size of the menu items, which basically
>> > stay unchanged.
>> 
>> We already discussed several issues with the X resources based text:
>> 
>> - The font configuration is alien to emacs with many issues and downsides.
>> - It is not possible to change it dynamically.
>
> That's nowhere near a catastrophe for such an infrequent setting.

Dismissing the use-case is one way to solve this.

What I would like to have is kind of similar behaviour as tty emacs on
xfce4-terminal except with additional benefits of graphics capabilities
built into the GUI Emacs.  I like the way Emacs buffers work and that
they have dynamically customizable faces.  I do not like alien widget
toolkits getting in the way.