Subject: Re: bug#57372: no-toolkit menu popups do not respect emacs font configuration

From: Tomas Hlavaty <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2022 20:21:43 +0200

On Thu 25 Aug 2022 at 09:42, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> This font size change happens on demand, when a key is pressed.
>
> Do you really need to do this frequently?  If so, why is that? why not
> set the size that is convenient for you, and more or less forget about
> it?

Frequency is not that relevant.  Convenience is relevant.  It should
happen after key press.  Not after changing configuration and restarting
Emacs.  I thought I explained that well enough already.  It is not
something I invented, it is important use-case and pretty much essential
part of GUI programs these days.  Try for example C-+ and C-- in firefox
or xfce4-terminal.

> I guess I don't understand why one would need to change the size
> frequently, especially the size of the menu items, which basically
> stay unchanged.

We already discussed several issues with the X resources based text:

- The font configuration is alien to emacs with many issues and downsides.
- It is not possible to change it dynamically.