Subject: Re: bug#57364: 28.1.91; asynchronous X server error when creating a second frame on alternate DISPLAY

From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2022 09:17:38 +0800

andrés ramírez <[email-masked]> writes:

> My distro is Archlinux, almost and up-to-date distro. I had installed
> 1.17.6. After your comment I upgrade cairo to the git version. And the
> error is still present.

Too bad.

> I should add that this error does NOT happen with emacs-master. So
> something has changed on emacs-master, that incidentally has avoided
> this error. Perhaps You could have an idea about what change has solved
> it on master.

No, sorry, but I know it's not present on master.  Try bisecting to see
which change resolves the problem.

> Ok. But again. I am getting rid of all the frames that belong to this
> display. If the border change it is something I am not going to watch
> (because. It is going to be too quick for my eyes). IMO It could be an
> optimization there. Perhaps When 'dpyinfo->display == NULL' not updating
> the frame anymore. Anyway that is a kind of tangent for this bug.

dpyinfo->display is not NULL at that time, because async input will not
be read if it is.

Anyway, such an optimization done by itself is insignificant, and
applied to all async input will get in the way of legitimate work
performed while reading async input, such as responding to
SelectionNotify events.