Subject: Re: bug#57350: 29.0.50; dired and filenames containing newlines

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2022 13:59:11 +0300

> From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
> Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 22:38:34 -0400
> 
>   > A lot of coding.  The --dired option tells Emacs where the file name
>   > begins and ends, but it does nothing to remove the literal newline
>   > character in the Dired buffer that breaks the file name entry into two
>   > (or more) lines.  So all the Dired commands that move by lines and
>   > assume a file's entry takes only one line on display become broken and
>   > have to be rewritten almost from scratch.
> 
> It seems to me that the newlines in the file names should not be
> represented in the Direc buffer as newlines.  Perhaps as \n?  And
> backslashes as \\?
> 
> dired-readin could search the filenames for newlines and backslashes
> and change the representation of them.

Could be done, but that would also need a lot of coding, just
elsewhere: all the features and commands which work on Dired buffers
would need to perform the inverse conversion before actually using the
file names.  I'm not sure which of the jobs is smaller, but it doesn't
look like any of them is small.

Anyway, patches are welcome.