Subject: Re: bug#57350: 29.0.50; dired and filenames containing newlines

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 22:38:34 -0400

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

  > A lot of coding.  The --dired option tells Emacs where the file name
  > begins and ends, but it does nothing to remove the literal newline
  > character in the Dired buffer that breaks the file name entry into two
  > (or more) lines.  So all the Dired commands that move by lines and
  > assume a file's entry takes only one line on display become broken and
  > have to be rewritten almost from scratch.

It seems to me that the newlines in the file names should not be
represented in the Direc buffer as newlines.  Perhaps as \n?  And
backslashes as \\?

dired-readin could search the filenames for newlines and backslashes
and change the representation of them.
-- 
Dr Richard Stallman (https://stallman.org)
Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)