Subject: bug#5735: New curses/termcap requirement for linking Emacs, but configure check missing.

From: Jan Djärv <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 08:44:02 +0100

Hello.

Since a couple of days ago may be a week), Emacs requires libncurses
development files (or similar termcap/terminfo) to link.  It didn't need that
about a week ago.

The symptoms are a lot of undefined symbols, see below.  If this has become a
new requirement, configure should look for these functions and if not found,
abort with instructions to install development files for ncurses or similar.

cm.o: In function `cmcostinit':
/home/jhd/src/emacs/fixes/src/cm.c:160: undefined reference to `tputs'
/home/jhd/src/emacs/fixes/src/cm.c:161: undefined reference to `tputs'
/home/jhd/src/emacs/fixes/src/cm.c:162: undefined reference to `tputs'
/home/jhd/src/emacs/fixes/src/cm.c:163: undefined reference to `tputs'
/home/jhd/src/emacs/fixes/src/cm.c:164: undefined reference to `tputs'
cm.o:/home/jhd/src/emacs/fixes/src/cm.c:165: more undefined references to 
`tputs' follow
term.o: In function `term_get_fkeys_1':
/home/jhd/src/emacs/fixes/src/term.c:1408: undefined reference to `tgetstr'
/home/jhd/src/emacs/fixes/src/term.c:1421: undefined reference to `tgetstr'
/home/jhd/src/emacs/fixes/src/term.c:1422: undefined reference to `tgetstr'
/home/jhd/src/emacs/fixes/src/term.c:1455: undefined reference to `tgetstr'
/home/jhd/src/emacs/fixes/src/term.c:1482: undefined reference to `tgetstr'
term.o:/home/jhd/src/emacs/fixes/src/term.c:1482: more undefined references to 
`tgetstr' follow
term.o: In function `turn_on_face':
/home/jhd/src/emacs/fixes/src/term.c:1970: undefined reference to `tputs'
/home/jhd/src/emacs/fixes/src/term.c:1973: undefined reference to `tputs'
/home/jhd/src/emacs/fixes/src/term.c:1978: undefined reference to `tputs'
/home/jhd/src/emacs/fixes/src/term.c:1982: undefined reference to `tputs'
/home/jhd/src/emacs/fixes/src/term.c:1985: undefined reference to `tputs'
term.o:/home/jhd/src/emacs/fixes/src/term.c:1995: more undefined references to 
`tputs' follow
term.o: In function `init_tty':
/home/jhd/src/emacs/fixes/src/term.c:3547: undefined reference to `tgetent'
/home/jhd/src/emacs/fixes/src/term.c:3591: undefined reference to `tgetstr'
/home/jhd/src/emacs/fixes/src/term.c:3592: undefined reference to `tgetstr'
/home/jhd/src/emacs/fixes/src/term.c:3593: undefined reference to `tgetstr'
/home/jhd/src/emacs/fixes/src/term.c:3594: undefined reference to `tgetstr'
/home/jhd/src/emacs/fixes/src/term.c:3595: undefined reference to `tgetstr'
term.o:/home/jhd/src/emacs/fixes/src/term.c:3596: more undefined references to 
`tgetstr' follow
term.o: In function `init_tty':
/home/jhd/src/emacs/fixes/src/term.c:3623: undefined reference to `tgetflag'
/home/jhd/src/emacs/fixes/src/term.c:3626: undefined reference to `tgetstr'
/home/jhd/src/emacs/fixes/src/term.c:3628: undefined reference to `tgetstr'
/home/jhd/src/emacs/fixes/src/term.c:3629: undefined reference to `tgetstr'
/home/jhd/src/emacs/fixes/src/term.c:3630: undefined reference to `tgetstr'
/home/jhd/src/emacs/fixes/src/term.c:3631: undefined reference to `tgetstr'
term.o:/home/jhd/src/emacs/fixes/src/term.c:3632: more undefined references to 
`tgetstr' follow
term.o: In function `init_tty':
/home/jhd/src/emacs/fixes/src/term.c:3675: undefined reference to `tgetnum'
/home/jhd/src/emacs/fixes/src/term.c:3676: undefined reference to `tgetnum'
/home/jhd/src/emacs/fixes/src/term.c:3678: undefined reference to `tgetnum'
/home/jhd/src/emacs/fixes/src/term.c:3685: undefined reference to `tgetflag'
/home/jhd/src/emacs/fixes/src/term.c:3688: undefined reference to `tgetflag'
/home/jhd/src/emacs/fixes/src/term.c:3689: undefined reference to `tgetflag'
/home/jhd/src/emacs/fixes/src/term.c:3690: undefined reference to `tgetflag'
/home/jhd/src/emacs/fixes/src/term.c:3691: undefined reference to `tgetflag'
term.o:/home/jhd/src/emacs/fixes/src/term.c:3692: more undefined references to 
`tgetflag' follow
term.o: In function `init_tty':
/home/jhd/src/emacs/fixes/src/term.c:3722: undefined reference to `tgetnum'
/home/jhd/src/emacs/fixes/src/term.c:3724: undefined reference to `tgetnum'
/home/jhd/src/emacs/fixes/src/term.c:3732: undefined reference to `tgetnum'
/home/jhd/src/emacs/fixes/src/term.c:3740: undefined reference to `PC'
/home/jhd/src/emacs/fixes/src/term.c:3753: undefined reference to `tgetnum'
/home/jhd/src/emacs/fixes/src/term.c:3758: undefined reference to `tgetnum'
/home/jhd/src/emacs/fixes/src/term.c:3775: undefined reference to `tgetstr'
sysdep.o: In function `reset_sys_modes':
/home/jhd/src/emacs/fixes/src/sysdep.c:1557: undefined reference to `tputs'

This is a fresh Emacs from the trunk, as per 2010-03-18 and a new run of 
configure.

	Jan D.

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
     `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
For information about debugging Emacs, please read the file
/opt/emacs-cvs/share/emacs/24.0.50/etc/DEBUG.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.18.3)
  of 2010-03-18 on gaffa
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10604000
configured using `configure  '--prefix=/opt/emacs-cvs' '--verbose' 
'--enable-asserts' 'CFLAGS=-g''

Important settings:
   value of $LC_ALL: nil
   value of $LC_COLLATE: C
   value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
   value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
   value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
   value of $LC_TIME: nil
   value of $LANG: sv_SE.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
   default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Perl

Minor modes in effect:
   desktop-save-mode: t
   delete-selection-mode: t
   icomplete-mode: t
   display-time-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<help-echo> <help-echo> M-x r e p o r t - <tab> <r
eturn>

Recent messages:
Position 20
Position 40
Position 60
Position 80
Position 100
You may type 'h' or '?' for a short PO mode reminder.
Loading vc-cvs...done
Wrote /home/jhd/.emacs.desktop.lock
Desktop: 20 buffers restored.
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr message sendmail ecomplete rfc822 mml mml-sec
password-cache mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailcap mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 qp ietf-drums mailabbrev nnheader gnus-util netrc
time-date mm-util mail-prsvr gmm-utils wid-edit mailheader canlock
hashcash mail-utils emacsbug parse-time vc-cvs po-mode add-log vc-bzr
sha1 hex-util vc-git perl-mode desktop cus-start cus-load msb delsel
icomplete cc-mode cc-fonts easymenu cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align
cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs regexp-opt time tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd font-setting tool-bar dnd fontset
image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai
tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev loaddefs button minibuffer faces cus-face files
text-properties overlay md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom
widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
system-font-setting font-render-setting gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)