Subject: [bug#57347] [PATCH] packages: Add man-pages-posix.

From: Lilah Tascheter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 08:08:58 -0500

On Tue, Aug 23, 2022 at 01:50:34AM +0200, Maxime Devos wrote:
> This package can easily be confused with 'man-pages' -- at least, I
> initially confused this as a duplicate of man-pages. Could the relationship
> be clarified in the description?
That's fair. How does this revised description sound? "Excerpts from the
POSIX.1-2008 and TC1 standards (collectively, POSIX.1-2013) in manual
page form. While the Linux man-pages project documents the system as it
exists, this package documents the portable software API nominally
implemented by many unix-likes."

> Maybe (assoc-ref %outputs "out") -> #$output and '(#:tests? ...) -> (list
> #:tests? #f #:make-flags #~(list ...) #:phases #~(...)), now we have G-exps.
Sounds good!

> Also, IIRC there's a #:make-target and #:parallel-build? #false
There is a #:parallel-build? #f, but no #:make-target field, as far as I
could tell. Though, the build phase doesn't explicitly target all, so it
would be possible to provide the gz target through #:make-flags.

But, also, all the build phase does is compress the manpages, which
could entirely be done by the compress-documentation phase with some
edits done to it; at the moment, its regex for detecting manpages
doesn't take into account the [023]p format of this package's manpages.

Thoughts?

> As a bonus, you could update the 'man-pages' package to the new G-exps,
> though not required.
Sure! I'll submit that with v2 as a patchset.

Thanks!
Lilah