Subject: Re: bug#57343: hscroll current-line scrolls short lines too far to the left

From: Erik van Zwol <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 21:48:16 -0600

I believe the issue happens when the line you are moving the cursor from a
line that is hscrolled to a line that is shorter than (frame_width -
hscroll_margin), the issue occurs.  However, if the line you are moving the
cursor to is greater than or equal to (frame_width - hscroll_margin), the
problem does not occur.  This is more evident when you set the
hscroll-margin to something smaller, like 1 or 2.

The patch I attached has modified the if statement that has this condition
in it (point >= frame_width - hscroll_margin) or something like that, I
don't have the code in front of me.

On Tue, Aug 23, 2022 at 11:07 AM Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
> > Cc: Erik van Zwol <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked]
> > Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 18:56:34 +0200
> >
> > > I feel there's something else at work here, because if you move the
> > > cursor up instead of down (i.e., to the previous instead of the next
> > > line), the problem doesn't happen.
> >
> > I see the same hscrolling when moving to the next and to the previous
> > line, both the same length (too short for hscrolling), see the attached
> > screenshots.
>
> You are saying that what you see on your system invalidates my
> observations on my system?
>
> All I'm saying is that what I see here tells me there's more here than
> meets the eye.  AFAIU, your evidence actually affirms my feeling.
>