Subject: [bug#57337] [PATCH 0/2] Add docxbox

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2022 14:44:06 +0200

Hi,

Wiktor Żelazny <[email-masked]> skribis:

> The docxbox patch is probably not ready for applying, yet (but it should
> be close). This is my first attempt at “unvendoring”. The thing builds
> and seems to work. The problem is that etc/ld.so.cache gets created. I
> have no idea where it comes from, but I suspect that it shouldn’t be
> there, as it’s easy to imagine a conflict if multiple packages with
> etc/ld.so.cache are being installed.

That’s OK: every package gets this file; see
<https://guix.gnu.org/en/blog/2021/taming-the-stat-storm-with-a-loader-cache/>
for background.

> Then, there are linter messages:
>
>    /home/<USER>/guix/guix-git/gnu/packages/textutils.scm:1512:12: [email-masked]: the source file name should contain the package name
>
> Adding the
>
>    (file-name (git-file-name name version))
>
> line removes the warning, but breaks the build.

Weird, how so?  The name shouldn’t have any impact on the build process.
Could you investigate a bit?

>    /home/<USER>/guix/guix-git/gnu/packages/textutils.scm:1512:12: [email-masked]: the source URI should not be an autogenerated tarball
>
> I’m guessing this refers to GitHub Automatic Releases feature.
> Unfortunately, there are no other releases to choose from in that
> repository.

In that case, use ‘git-fetch’ instead of referring to the generated
tarball.

> Finally, there’s the question related to the MS Word being proprietary
> software. I don’t think there should be controversies here, as docxbox
> is about interacting with the docx format, rather than the software
> itself. And the format itself is standardized. Perhaps the synopsis
> the package should avoid mentioning MS Word. I borrowed it from the
> docxbox repository.

It’s OK to mention Word to say that the tool allows you to read its
files.

Thanks,
Ludo’.