Subject: 28.1; Fix wdired with (dired '(dir f1 f2 ...))

From: Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2022 06:23:52 +0000

Hello Emacs,

there is an action in helm that allows creating a dired buffer with
marked files for further editing with wdired.
For this I have to call dired with its dirname argument as a list:
  (dired ' (dir f1 f2 f3))
Unfortunately this is broken since years and until now I had to use an advice
to fix it.
The advice is working up to emacs-28.1 but now it becomes difficult to
write an advice compatible with all emacs versions, here is a patch to
apply on 29.0.50.

To reproduce the bug from emacs -Q:

1) Ensure ~/tmp/test.txt and ~/tmp/test2.txt exist
2) (dired '("~/tmp" "/home/thierry/tmp/test.txt" "/home/thierry/tmp/test2.txt"))
3) M-x wdired-change-to-dired-mode (C-x C-q)
4) Rename test.txt to test1.txt
5) C-x C-s

diff --git a/lisp/wdired.el b/lisp/wdired.el
index 106d57174d5..7322eeff872 100644
--- a/lisp/wdired.el
+++ b/lisp/wdired.el
@@ -537,15 +537,23 @@ non-nil means return old filename."
     (wdired-change-to-dired-mode)
     (if changes
 	(progn
-	  ;; If we are displaying a single file (rather than the
-	  ;; contents of a directory), change dired-directory if that
-	  ;; file was renamed.  (This ought to be generalized to
-	  ;; handle the multiple files case, but that's less trivial).
-	  (when (and (stringp dired-directory)
-		     (not (file-directory-p dired-directory))
-		     (null some-file-names-unchanged)
-		     (= (length files-renamed) 1))
-	    (setq dired-directory (cdr (car files-renamed))))
+	  (cond ((and (stringp dired-directory)
+                      (not (file-directory-p dired-directory))
+                      (null some-file-names-unchanged)
+                      (= (length files-renamed) 1))
+                 (setq dired-directory (cdr (car files-renamed))))
+                ;; Fix dired buffers created with
+                ;; (dired '(foo f1 f2 f3)).
+                ((and (consp dired-directory)
+                      (cdr dired-directory)
+                      files-renamed)
+                 (setcdr dired-directory
+                         ;; Replace in `dired-directory' files that have
+                         ;; been modified with their new name keeping
+                         ;; the ones that are unmodified at the same place.
+                         (cl-loop for f in (cdr dired-directory)
+                                  collect (or (assoc-default f files-renamed)
+                                              f)))))
 	  ;; Re-sort the buffer.
 	  (revert-buffer)
 	  (let ((inhibit-read-only t))

In GNU Emacs 28.1 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, Motif Version 2.3.8, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2022-04-20 built on IPad-S340
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12013000
System Description: Linux Mint 20.3

Configured using:
 'configure CFLAGS=-O8 --with-mailutils --with-cairo --without-dbus
 --without-gconf --without-gsettings --with-x-toolkit=motif'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2
LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY
PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE
XIM XPM MOTIF ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: fr_FR.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: İĽ

Minor modes in effect:
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  undo-tree-mode: t
  psession-mode: t
  psession-savehist-mode: t
  global-git-gutter-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  helm-epa-mode: t
  helm-descbinds-mode: t
  helm-adaptive-mode: t
  helm-mode: t
  helm-minibuffer-history-mode: t
  helm-ff-icon-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  helm-popup-tip-mode: t
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  dired-async-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  gcmh-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow epa-mail face-remap emacsbug helm-command whitespace tabify
tramp-cache tv-mu4e-config mu4e-contrib mu4e-patch mu4e mu4e-org
mu4e-main mu4e-view gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig
mu4e-headers mu4e-compose mu4e-draft mu4e-actions smtpmail sendmail
mu4e-search mu4e-lists mu4e-bookmarks mu4e-mark mu4e-message flow-fill
hl-line mu4e-contacts mu4e-update mu4e-folders mu4e-server mu4e-context
mu4e-vars mu4e-helpers mu4e-config ido helm-ring helm-dabbrev
smerge-mode helm-x-files helm-for-files image-file image-converter
char-fold tramp-archive tramp-gvfs rst vc-filewise vc-rcs conf-mode
ledger-config ledger-mode ledger-check ledger-texi ledger-test
ledger-sort ledger-report ledger-reconcile ledger-occur ledger-fonts
ledger-fontify ledger-state ledger-complete ledger-schedule ledger-init
ledger-xact ledger-post ledger-exec ledger-navigate eshell esh-cmd
esh-ext esh-opt esh-proc esh-io esh-arg esh-module esh-groups esh-util
ledger-context ledger-commodities ledger-regex checkdoc lisp-mnt
markdown-mode make-mode flymake-shellcheck flymake-proc flymake project
warnings sh-script smie executable bug-reference naquadah-theme solar
cal-dst holidays hol-loaddefs tv-utils osm yaml-mode undo-tree diff
queue rainbow-mode color psession frameset log-view pcvs-util
bash-completion cl-indent pcase ffap thingatpt autocrypt-message
autocrypt-gnus addressbook-bookmark gnus-sum shr kinsoku svg dom
gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail
mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win
message rmc puny rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus nnheader
gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045 mail-utils mm-util
mail-prsvr autocrypt-mu4e autocrypt ietf-drums config-w3m git-gutter
mule-util appt diary-lib diary-loaddefs gud wdired dired-extension
org-config ob-gnuplot org-crypt net-utils time winner autotest-mode
autoconf-mode woman man ediff ediff-merg ediff-mult ediff-wind
ediff-diff ediff-help ediff-init ediff-util init-helm helm-ls-git vc-git
diff-mode vc vc-dispatcher helm-fd epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config
helm-epa helm-imenu imenu helm-elisp-package helm-find helm-org org ob
ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-footnote org-src
ob-comint org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline
org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-table oc-basic bibtex ol
rx org-keys oc org-compat advice org-macs org-loaddefs cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs helm-external isearch-light helm-descbinds helm-wikipedia
all-the-icons all-the-icons-faces data-material data-weathericons
data-octicons data-fileicons data-faicons data-alltheicons cus-edit
wid-edit helm-ipython helm-elisp helm-eval edebug backtrace find-func
python tramp-sh helm-bookmark helm-net xml helm-info bookmark pp
helm-adaptive helm-mode helm-misc helm-files image-dired image-mode exif
filenotify tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration files-x
tramp-compat shell pcomplete parse-time iso8601 time-date ls-lisp
helm-buffers helm-occur helm-tags helm-locate helm-grep wgrep-helm wgrep
grep compile text-property-search comint ring helm-regexp format-spec
ansi-color helm-utils helm-help helm-types helm-extensions-autoloads
helm-config helm-autoloads helm helm-global-bindings helm-easymenu
helm-core async-bytecomp helm-source helm-multi-match helm-lib
dired-async dired-aux dired dired-loaddefs async popup diminish mb-depth
server edmacro kmacro avoid cus-load gcmh cl-extra help-mode use-package
use-package-ensure use-package-delight use-package-diminish
use-package-bind-key bind-key easy-mmode use-package-core finder-inf
package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers
url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs
password-cache json subr-x map url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib info w3m-load iso-transl tooltip
eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads inotify
lcms2 dynamic-setting font-render-setting cairo motif x-toolkit x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 895555 348095)
 (symbols 48 43408 4)
 (strings 32 257791 42475)
 (string-bytes 1 7581558)
 (vectors 16 88254)
 (vector-slots 8 1888821 470585)
 (floats 8 3310 1630)
 (intervals 56 21597 12985)
 (buffers 992 134))
<#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>

-- 
Thierry