Subject: bug#57334: 28.1; Fix wdired with (dired '(dir f1 f2 ...))

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 03:01:59 +0200

Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hello Emacs,
>
> there is an action in helm that allows creating a dired buffer with
> marked files for further editing with wdired.
> For this I have to call dired with its dirname argument as a list:
>   (dired ' (dir f1 f2 f3))
> Unfortunately this is broken since years and until now I had to use an advice
> to fix it.
> The advice is working up to emacs-28.1 but now it becomes difficult to
> write an advice compatible with all emacs versions, here is a patch to
> apply on 29.0.50.

I do also have such an advice.  My approach is to make
`wdired-finish-edit' _not_ call `revert-buffer'.  This is faster and
doesn't mess the original file order.  AFAIR one also has to avoid the
`dired-advertize' call for such buffers, else they are confused with
normal buffers displayed the DIR.  And file changes are not propagated
to other dired buffers, that's also something I do manually.

And a different thing is that changes in other dired buffers are not
propagated to these special file-list buffers.  This is a tricky matter.
I think fixing all problems will require some work.  They are not
independent.

Michael.