Subject: bug#57320: 29.0.50; Lucid menus can't be operated with the mouse

From: Visuwesh <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2022 13:52:41 +0530

[புதன் ஆகஸ்ட் 31, 2022] Po Lu via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors" wrote:

> Visuwesh <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> I wonder if I can pull this off using debug Emacs running in Xephyr and
>> with a single mouse attached
>
> My experience is that subtle bugs with pointer grabbing cannot be
> reproduced in Xephyr (or any environment you specifically set up for
> debugging) at all, but it can't hurt to try.

I tried emacs -Q in Xephyr and it seemed to exhibit the bug but the real
challenge comes when I attach the debugger to the Emacs process, of
course.

>> (or maybe I can get my touchpad and mouse to be separate "mice"
>> somehow)
>
> You could try adding a new master pointer and attaching the device you
> want to behave separately to it.

Thanks for the hint.  This will help me.

> The disadvantage is that 99% of window managers have no proper support
> for multi-pointer X environments, and either crash or freeze.
>
> I think mpwm is the only window manager that will work, but it will take
> a lot of time to find a recent copy.

It was surprisingly easy to find.

    % git clone git://people.freedesktop.org/~whot/mpwm

did it for me.  This looks like the right window manager to me upon
reading the README file.
[ I got this URL from this random webpage
  https://readlist.com/lists/lists.freedesktop.org/xorg/6/33596.html
  that turned up in Brave search.  ]