Subject: Re: bug#57320: 29.0.50; Lucid menus can't be operated with the mouse

From: Visuwesh <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 20:38:23 +0530

[ஞாயிறு ஆகஸ்ட் 21, 2022] Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:

>
> Stefan via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text
> editors" <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> - The menu entries are not highlighted as I move the mouse over
>>   them, and submenus don't popup as I move the mouse over them.
>> - If I mouse-click on an entry in a menu, the menu is not removed and
>>   the corresponding command is not run.  Instead I get my window
>>   manager's "root menu" (i.e. the menu I get when I click in the
>>   background) popup on top of the Lucid menu.
>>   Same happens if I click on a menu entry which is a submenu.
>
> This is with
>
> ./configure --with-x-toolkit=lucid
>
> ?
>
> In that case, I can't reproduce these issues -- the menus work fine for
> me.  (On the current Ubuntu, under X.)

Weird.  I have broken menus as well.  At some point, this problem went
away but it is back again.  Apart from the stuff Stefan mentioned, I
can't click outside of the popup menu and the menubar to make it go
away.  Here's what M-x report-emacs-bug says,

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 6, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw scroll bars)
 of 2022-08-21 built on astatine
Repository revision: ae2199258f6eba3a8a066616dad1a7bf666ec8be
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101003
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux bookworm/sid

Configured using:
 'configure --with-sound=alsa --with-x-toolkit=lucid --with-json
 --without-xaw3d --without-gconf --without-libsystemd --without-cairo'

Configured features:
ACL DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG
SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP X11 XDBE XFT
XIM XINPUT2 XPM LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: ta_IN.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: ta_IN.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date subr-x mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
cl-loaddefs cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils rmc iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting x-toolkit
xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 36329 6922)
 (symbols 48 5089 0)
 (strings 32 13827 1642)
 (string-bytes 1 377099)
 (vectors 16 9213)
 (vector-slots 8 145564 11271)
 (floats 8 23 25)
 (intervals 56 233 0)
 (buffers 992 10))