Subject: [bug#57317] [PATCH 0/2] Implicitly set GUIX_EXTENSIONS_PATH in profiles.

From: Efraim Flashner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2022 12:20:35 +0300

On Sun, Aug 21, 2022 at 09:41:41PM +0200, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
> I agree with Maxime: this looks good, and I also think that other
> variables could be set unconditionally.
> 
> Yes, it’s a little inelegant to set environment variables like this, but
> for GUIX_EXTENSIONS_PATH I think it’s warranted, because Guix is special
> anyway.
> 
> So +1 from me.
> 
> I’m CC’ing the maintainers to perhaps get a comment on the general
> approach for the record.
> 

Not with my maintainer hat on:

I tried to create an extension a while ago and it wasn't entirely clear
to me how to force loading extensions correctly when testing from a guix
environment.

By removing the notes about setting GUIX_EXTENSION_PATH to
~/.guix-profile/... we allow Guix to use actual search paths like we do
with other environment variables so we can use it with guix-home or
other alternate profiles, such as the OS config.

I took a minute to look at my extension; I had to set
GUIX_EXTENSION_PATH to an absolute location, not a relative one.

Normally we'd tell people they have to install a package to make use of
it's search paths, like reminding people to add python to their shell
invocation, not just python-pip. In this case we DON'T want people
installing the guix package, so we need to make the environment variable
available another way.

-- 
Efraim Flashner   <[email-masked]>   אפרים פלשנר
GPG key = A28B F40C 3E55 1372 662D  14F7 41AA E7DC CA3D 8351
Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed on emails sent or received unencrypted