Subject: Re: bug#57309: 29.0.50; Build error "trying to dump non fixed-up eln file"

From: Gerd Möllmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 12:45:05 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> I've removed src/emacs and src/bootstrap-emacs, and said "make".  That
> succeeded, but most of the preloaded files were loaded as *.elc.  Then
> I touch'ed every .el file that is preloaded, and said "make" again.
> This ELC+ELN-compiled all of them, and then successfully loaded and
> dumped them.
>
> Not sure what that means, but maybe try the same recipe?

That it succeeds is kind of what I'm afraid of :-).

I think Lars mentioned that a simple second make run made things work
for him, and now I'm afraid if I leave the debugger or touch anything, I
won't be able to reproduce the error again.

BTW, I think I've seen the same bug with the last change to Makefile.in,
only with a different error message "...incoherent something...", where
Lars mentioned he had seen that sort of error ca. once per month or so.

Something is really fishy here.  It reminds me a bit of situtations when
people don't take conservative stack marking into account, and then
mistakenly assume that objects will be removed during the next GC after
removing the last reference to it from their Lisp data structure.  Which
is mistaken because of disingeneous references from the C stack.  But I
also don't know how that would come into play here.