Subject: Re: bug#57307: guix system reports an error when uuid is used in menu-entry

From: Marius Bakke <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2022 23:46:34 +0200

Josselin Poiret via Bug reports for GNU Guix <[email-masked]> skriver:

> Hi, 
>
> tiantian <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> I want to add an menu-entry in bootloader-configuration. I use uuid to 
>> specify the partition in device field of menu-entry , because my 
>> partition has no label. But when I use 'guix system reconfigure', guix 
>> system reports an error: "guix system: error: #<<uuid> type: dce bv: 
>> #vu8(109 91 19 212 96 146 70 208 139 228 7 61 192 116 19 204)>: invalid 
>> G-expression input"
>
> Right, this is an issue with how we translate the menu-entries to sexps
> through `menu-entry->sexp`, which then get embedded into a g-exp via
> `operating-system-boot-parameters-file`!  We didn't take into account
> non-string devices there.  The following two patches should fix the
> issue and introduce some tests for it.

Pushed in:

  3294fa2ba4 tests: Add test for menu-entry roundtrips as sexps.
  0811d2cb8d bootloader: Convert device in menu-entry to proper sexp.

Thanks!