Subject: bug#57307: closed (Re: bug#57307: guix system reports an error when uuid is used in menu-entry)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2022 21:47:02 +0000

Your bug report

#57307: guix system reports an error when uuid is used in menu-entry

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
57307: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=57307
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#57307: guix system reports an error when uuid is used in menu-entry
From: Marius Bakke <[email-masked]>
To: Josselin Poiret <[email-masked]>, tiantian <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2022 23:46:34 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Josselin Poiret via Bug reports for GNU Guix <[email-masked]> skriver:

> Hi, 
>
> tiantian <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> I want to add an menu-entry in bootloader-configuration. I use uuid to 
>> specify the partition in device field of menu-entry , because my 
>> partition has no label. But when I use 'guix system reconfigure', guix 
>> system reports an error: "guix system: error: #<<uuid> type: dce bv: 
>> #vu8(109 91 19 212 96 146 70 208 139 228 7 61 192 116 19 204)>: invalid 
>> G-expression input"
>
> Right, this is an issue with how we translate the menu-entries to sexps
> through `menu-entry->sexp`, which then get embedded into a g-exp via
> `operating-system-boot-parameters-file`!  We didn't take into account
> non-string devices there.  The following two patches should fix the
> issue and introduce some tests for it.

Pushed in:

  3294fa2ba4 tests: Add test for menu-entry roundtrips as sexps.
  0811d2cb8d bootloader: Convert device in menu-entry to proper sexp.

Thanks!

Subject: guix system reports an error when uuid is used in menu-entry
From: tiantian <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2022 18:08:21 +0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I want to add an menu-entry in bootloader-configuration. I use uuid to 
specify the partition in device field of menu-entry , because my 
partition has no label. But when I use 'guix system reconfigure', guix 
system reports an error: "guix system: error: #<<uuid> type: dce bv: 
#vu8(109 91 19 212 96 146 70 208 139 228 7 61 192 116 19 204)>: invalid 
G-expression input"

After asking friends in #guixcn, I still can't get more error messages. 
It's the only error message. I can't find its reason.

To find the problem, I also simplified my configuration file and tried 
to use ‘git bisect’ to find it, but I failed. I couldn't find a good 
commit. I rolled back to c1719a0 commit in git repository, but I still 
got the error message after building and using './pre-inst-env guix 
system build ./config-test.scm'. I had to give up solving it and just 
send an email to report the bug.

My English is poor. I use translation software. If the grammar is wrong, 
please forgive me.