Subject: Re: bug#57292: GDM accessibility menu buttons don't do anything

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2024 14:10:07 -0500

Hi Liliana, Dariqq,

[...]

>> What would you think of the wrap-program solution which would avoid 
>> propagating pacakges?
>> 
>> I currently have something like
>> 
>> #+BEGIN_SRC scheme
>> (add-after 'install 'wrap-gdm
>>              (lambda* (#:key inputs outputs #:allow-other-keys)
>>                (wrap-program (string-append #$output "/bin/gdm")
>>                  `("XDG_DATA_DIRS" ":" prefix
>>                    #$(map (lambda (input)
>>                            (file-append (this-package-input input) 
>> "/share"))
>>                          '("at-spi2-core"
>>                            "dconf"
>>                            "gnome-control-center"))))))
>> #+END_SRC
>> 
>> Also this way the assets (adwaita and cantarell) should be kept in
>> the gdm-configuration as when I tested this I had a white box as a
>> cursor.
> That SGTM, but we do need a more descriptive phase name.  The question
> is whether we should inline the gnome-shell assets this way as well or
> not.

As Dariqq tried to inline the assets in the wrap phase and that did
*not* immediately, work, and since in theory a user could configure GDM
to use different assets, I think the art assets can stay where they
currently are, and the above patch merged to master to fix this
longstanding issue.  Perhaps the phase name could be
'wrap-accessibility-dependencies'.

Dariqq, if you send an updated patch along these lines, I think we can
finally get it merged.

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim