Subject: bug#57292: [PATCH] WIP: gnu: propagate inputs for gdm and rework gdm-service-type.

From: Dariqq <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2024 16:08:15 +0000

On 04.02.24 20:26, Liliana Marie Prikler wrote:

> Yes, it seems Maxim and I have conflicting goals.  Maxim wants to avoid
> "abusing" gnome-shell-assets whereas I want to avoid propagation, as it
> pollutes profiles.  Perhaps Maxim and I can agree on how to interpret
> gnome-shell-assets, as IIUC even with packages that aren't "pure data"
> only the data portion of it ought to be relevant, no?
> 
> We should do so especially because the newly propagated variables are
> anyhow propagated by gnome-desktop-service, which could constitute
> weird behaviour all around.
> 
> Cheers

What would you think of the wrap-program solution which would avoid 
propagating pacakges?

I currently have something like

#+BEGIN_SRC scheme
(add-after 'install 'wrap-gdm
             (lambda* (#:key inputs outputs #:allow-other-keys)
               (wrap-program (string-append #$output "/bin/gdm")
                 `("XDG_DATA_DIRS" ":" prefix
                   #$(map (lambda (input)
                           (file-append (this-package-input input) 
"/share"))
                         '("at-spi2-core"
                           "dconf"
                           "gnome-control-center"))))))
#+END_SRC

Also this way the assets (adwaita and cantarell) should be kept in the 
gdm-configuration as when I tested this I had a white box as a cursor.