Subject: 28.1; emacs crashes when loading too many images

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2022 20:38:27 -0400

I wrote a small library to add thumbnails to dired here:
https://github.com/jojojames/media-thumbnail

When scrolling through images at a fast rate. (I hold down the key to go to the next line for example.),
emacs eventually crashes.

The behavior can also be seen with image-dired though I didn't test an emacs -Q for it.
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Image_002dDired.html

I can reproduce more reliably with my library due to its rapid fire calls to create-image (maybe?).

# Emacs -Q

(require 'package)
(add-to-list 'package-archives '("melpa" . "https://melpa.org/packages/"))
(package-initialize)
(package-refresh-contents)

;; $ git clone https://github.com/jojojames/media-thumbnail

;; (load "/Users/james/.emacs.d/packages/emacs_28/straight/repos/media-thumbnail/media-thumbnail.el")
(load "where-media-thumbnail-is-located/media-thumbnail.el")

(require 'media-thumbnail)
(add-hook 'dired-mode-hook 'media-thumbnail-dired-mode)

M-x dired # directory with a lot of images to scroll through
C-n until emacs crashes.

- # of images in directory can range in the hundreds.
- happens consistently when scrolling through hundreds of images, though not every time