Subject: bug#57267: 28.1; emacs crashes when loading too many images

From: Gerd Möllmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 07:30:57 +0200

[email-masked] writes:

>
>> Could it be that one or more jpegs of yours is invalid in some way?
> Maybe you could check this with the 'jpeginfo' utitlity.  I've never
> used it myself, because I don't have a use for it, but from what I read,
> it might be able to detect at least some error cases.  Maybe it's worth
> trying.
>
> Do you think that would lead to a crash every time? My crashes are
> very inconsistent.

I can't really answer that question because, as a starter, I don't even
know what AppleVPA is doing when it crashes, and there's no way to find
out, AFAIK.  In general, with multi-threading, ASLR, and whatnot, things
tend to not behave consistently quite frequently, at least in my
experience.

I'd personally give jpeginfo a try.  It's cheap.  Just 'brew install'
it.

>> Another idea might be to try and install an external jpeg library
> (libjpeg I presume), and configure Emacs to use it.  Alas, this doesn't
> seem to work on my M1 Mac, but maybe it does on your x86_64 system.
>
> Can you point me to some documentation for that?

I can't find documentation for this.  I guess I only "know" about this
because I added it in 1998, according to the ChangeLog, which must be a
lie :-).

Anyways.  On my system, I just did 'brew install libjpeg' and then
'./configure'.  The file config.log showed that configure was trying to
use libjpeg, but didn't like it for some reason I don't remember.

BTW, Homebrew also has other jpeg libs ('brew search jpeg' and so on),
but I didn't try them all.  As I mentioned, I don't do much with images
myself.

Maybe it's also worth asking an help-gnu-emacs, if this doesn't work.
Or someone reading this knows more about this topic.