Subject: bug#57265: 29.0.50; loaddefs-generate prints output-file relative to lisp-directory

From: "Basil L. Contovounesios" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2022 23:18:40 +0300

Severity: minor

0. cd "$(mktemp -d)"

1. cat << EOF > foo.el
   ;;;###autoload
   (defun foo ())
   EOF

2. emacs -Q -batch -f loaddefs-generate-batch foo-autoloads.el "$PWD"

   INFO     Scraping files for loaddefs... 
   INFO     Scraping files for loaddefs...done
   GEN      ../../../../../../../tmp/tmp.L6jGBTv9Bo/foo-autoloads.el

3. emacs -Q -batch -eval '
   (let* ((d default-directory)
          (lisp-directory d))
     (loaddefs-generate d "foo-autoloads.el" nil nil nil t))'

   INFO     Scraping files for loaddefs... 
   INFO     Scraping files for loaddefs...done
   GEN      foo-autoloads.el

Note how in step 2 loaddefs-generate prints output-file relative to
lisp-directory, even though foo.el is external to the Emacs source tree.

I would expect the output to be closer to that in step 3, with the
overridden lisp-directory.

WDYT?

Ideally I would like to customise/silence the rest of the output as
well, but maybe that should be in a separate feature request?

Thanks,

-- 
Basil

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo version 1.16.0, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2022-08-17 built on tia
Repository revision: 31f289625cb3f72d167f1f9cac246269eeb5c716
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101004
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux bookworm/sid

Configured using:
 'configure 'CFLAGS=-Og -ggdb3' --config-cache --prefix=/home/blc/.local
 --enable-checking=structs --with-file-notification=yes
 --with-x-toolkit=lucid --with-x'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP X11 XAW3D XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_IE.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date subr-x mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
cl-loaddefs cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils rmc iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit
xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 36315 6030)
 (symbols 48 5084 0)
 (strings 32 13820 1990)
 (string-bytes 1 381659)
 (vectors 16 9205)
 (vector-slots 8 145421 9881)
 (floats 8 23 25)
 (intervals 56 236 0)
 (buffers 992 10))