Subject: Re: bug#57264: 29.0.50; Wrong xcursor colour when over an Emacs frame

From: Visuwesh <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2022 19:04:15 +0530

[வெள்ளி ஆகஸ்ட் 19, 2022] Po Lu wrote:

> Visuwesh <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> [வியாழன் ஆகஸ்ட் 18, 2022] Po Lu via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors" wrote:
>>
>>> Visuwesh <[email-masked]> writes:
>>>
>>>> Almost every Xorg app I have (add mpv, sxiv and meh to the earlier list)
>>>> and the root window except st and Emacs shows the right cursor for me.
>>>
>>> The cursor theme you sent does not include a replacement for the default
>>> X cursor, so what is being displayed on the root window (given that the
>>> window manager did not define another) is from the default cursor font,
>>> not your cursor theme.

[ BTW, my window manager shows the left_ptr.  ]

>> What is the default X cursor, anyway?  I thought it was XC_left_ptr [1]
>> and AFAICT, the theme does have left_ptr.
>
> The default X cursor is XC_X_cursor (x-pointer-X-cursor in Emacs.)

Thanks.  But do you know why I am seeing this behaviour?  I cannot see
what is wrong with the theme.  Supposedly, the input to the xcursorgen
program and the image files are good.  I opened the generated Xcursor
file in GIMP and it is also of the expected colours.  I am unfortunately
lost and I would be really grateful if you can give any pointers.

BTW, all this made me think: why not let the user set the foreground
colour of the cursor, via the mouse face, too?  This would at least
solve my problem immediately despite being an awful hack.