Subject: bug#57264: 29.0.50; Wrong xcursor colour when over an Emacs frame

From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2022 09:47:34 +0800

Visuwesh <[email-masked]> writes:

> [வியாழன் ஆகஸ்ட் 18, 2022] Po Lu via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors" wrote:
>
>> Visuwesh <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> Almost every Xorg app I have (add mpv, sxiv and meh to the earlier list)
>>> and the root window except st and Emacs shows the right cursor for me.
>>
>> The cursor theme you sent does not include a replacement for the default
>> X cursor, so what is being displayed on the root window (given that the
>> window manager did not define another) is from the default cursor font,
>> not your cursor theme.

> What is the default X cursor, anyway?  I thought it was XC_left_ptr [1]
> and AFAICT, the theme does have left_ptr.

The default X cursor is XC_X_cursor (x-pointer-X-cursor in Emacs.)

> I took a quick look and it seems to use xcb_cursor_load_cursor.
> https://github.com/awesomeWM/awesome/blob/7a8fa9d27a7907ab81e60274c925ba65d10015aa/common/xcursor.c

Right, I think that's also problematic (compared to XCreateFontCursor.)