Subject: bug#57264: 29.0.50; Wrong xcursor colour when over an Emacs frame

From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2022 20:49:13 +0800

Visuwesh <[email-masked]> writes:

> Almost every Xorg app I have (add mpv, sxiv and meh to the earlier list)
> and the root window except st and Emacs shows the right cursor for me.

The cursor theme you sent does not include a replacement for the default
X cursor, so what is being displayed on the root window (given that the
window manager did not define another) is from the default cursor font,
not your cursor theme.  mpv also does not set a cursor, but inherits the
cursor from the frame window provided by the window manager.

I am not familar with the other programs, but I'm sure they use the
Xcursor library, which these days has various problems with non-ARGB
cursor bitmaps.  Emacs does not and thus behaves correctly.

> I'm using the awesome window manager here if it matters.

I'm not familiar with that window manager, sorry.

> I could invert the image but that would make it worse on every other
> Xorg app I use.

Or perhaps ask those other programs to call XRecolorCursor with the
right colors after loading a core cursor with the Xcursor library.