Subject: 29.0.50; Python indentation problem of block continuation

From: kobarity <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2022 23:14:44 +0900

Hi,

When you type the following code in the Python mode buffer and hit
Enter key, the next line will be indented with 4 spaces (assuming
`python-indent-offset' is 4).

#+begin_src python
for long_variable_name \
#+end_src

However, it is not appropriate because it will be "continuation line
with same indent as next logical line" error.  The indentation should
be one level deeper as follows:

#+begin_src python
for long_variable_name \
        in (1, 2):
    print(long_variable_name)
#+end_src

Attached is a patch to fix this issue.

Best Regards,

--

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 10, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu)
 of 2022-08-15 built on ubuntu
System Description: Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS

Configured using:
 'configure --without-x --with-gnutls=ifavailable'

Configured features:
ACL LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS
XIM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Python

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dnd dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils python skeleton
derived json map rx cl-macs pcase subr-x comint regexp-opt ring
cl-loaddefs cl-lib ansi-color term/screen term/xterm xterm byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv rmc iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode tabulated-list
replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar
menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq
simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button
loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads inotify multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 70922 6831)
 (symbols 48 7269 0)
 (strings 32 19447 1974)
 (string-bytes 1 607324)
 (vectors 16 10328)
 (vector-slots 8 124429 7979)
 (floats 8 29 517)
 (intervals 56 210 0)
 (buffers 992 13))