Subject: bug#57260: 29.0.50; Python font-lock support is limited to single line

From: kobarity <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2022 18:39:23 +0900

Hi,

Current font-lock support for Python is limited to a single line.  For
example, function names and variable names in the following code are
not font-locked.

#+begin_src python
def \
        func():
    [
        a,
        b
    ] = (
        1,
        2
    )
#+end_src

Attached is a patch to enable font-lock of such multiline constructs.
To support multiline font-lock, a function to be set as
`font-lock-extend-after-change-region-function' is added.  This
function expands the region to be fontified to statement boundaries so
that multiline constructs can be identified.

Please note that this patch does not support newlines in type hints
such as following.

#+begin_src python
d: Mapping[int,
           str] = {1: 'bar', 2: 'baz'}
#+end_src

Best Regards,

--

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 10, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu)
 of 2022-08-15 built on ubuntu
System Description: Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS

Configured using:
 'configure --without-x --with-gnutls=ifavailable'

Configured features:
ACL LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS
XIM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Python

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dnd dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils python skeleton
derived json map rx cl-macs pcase subr-x comint regexp-opt ring
cl-loaddefs cl-lib ansi-color term/screen term/xterm xterm byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv rmc iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode tabulated-list
replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar
menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq
simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button
loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads inotify multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 70922 6831)
 (symbols 48 7269 0)
 (strings 32 19447 1974)
 (string-bytes 1 607324)
 (vectors 16 10328)
 (vector-slots 8 124429 7979)
 (floats 8 29 517)
 (intervals 56 210 0)
 (buffers 992 13))