Subject: Re: bug#57256: Very long lines displayed in debugger window

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2022 14:55:20 +0300

> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2022 03:48:40 +0000
> From:  uzibalqa via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs,
>  the Swiss army knife of text editors" <[email-masked]>
> 
> If that is the case (huge amount of data) can there be a debug customisation
> variable that regulates the display, so users can decide what they prefer to
> see by default?

It sounds like a solution that looks for a problem to me.

What exactly is the problem with the very long lines you see now?
Emacs has several display-related capabilities to allow you both bring
the hidden parts into view and disregard them, depending on your
needs.  I don't see why we need to add a pretty-printing feature,
which would definitely make the buffer have more lines, and then on
top of that add a customization option to selectively disable the
pretty-printing.  It's a complicated solution (and likely will become
even more so once we implement it) for a problem that I fail to see in
practice.