Subject: bug#57246: biblatex don't recognize video type entry

From: Arash Esbati <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2022 10:53:25 +0200

Roland Winkler <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Wed, Aug 17 2022, Stefan Kangas wrote:
>> How about just having two variables instead?  One for users, and one for
>> the mode itself.
>
> That's certainly an option (see the last paragraph of my message).
>
> Is there a possibility to declare the customizability of a variable
> obsolete?  bibtex-biblatex-entry-alist has been around as a user
> variable for more than ten years and bibtex-BibTeX-entry-alist for yet
> many more years.  I doubt that many people ever tried to customize these
> variables.  Still, if we add new dedicated user variables, it would be
> nice to tell users that the customization of the old variables has been
> depreciated.

My apologies if I'm missing the obvious, but why not leave
bibtex-biblatex-entry-alist customizable and introduce an internal
variable, say bibtex-biblatex-entry-alist-builtin and move the current
content into that one?  Then define a function like this:

(defun bibtex-biblatex-entry-alist ()
  (append bibtex-biblatex-entry-alist
          bibtex-biblatex-entry-alist-builtin))

where user entries overrule the builtin ones.  This is what AUCTeX
mostly does for the "big" variables.

Best, Arash