Subject: bug#57238: closed (Re: bug#57238: 29.0.50; Tramp: as root on remote SSH server: file is write protected, for -rw-r--r-- 1 admin admin 46587 Aug 5 20:42 websites)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2022 13:51:02 +0000

Your bug report

#57238: 29.0.50; Tramp: as root on remote SSH server: file is write protected, for -rw-r--r-- 1 admin admin 46587 Aug  5 20:42 websites

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
57238: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=57238
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#57238: 29.0.50; Tramp: as root on remote SSH server: file is write protected, for -rw-r--r-- 1 admin admin 46587 Aug 5 20:42 websites
From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
To: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2022 15:50:10 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 29.1

Jean Louis <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Jean,

> Now it works, feel free to close it.

Done.

> I wonder if it is possible to exclude that warning "Checking
> `vc-registered'" as it is just disturbing, Tramp is anyway slow and
> turning it off could speed up the process.

This is version control, enabled by default in Emacs. If you don't need
it at all, you can disable it by setting vc-handled-backends to nil. If
you want to disable it just for all remote files, you can set
vc-ignore-dir-regexp to an appropriate value. The Tramp manual
recommends

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
(setq vc-ignore-dir-regexp
      (format "\\(%s\\)\\|\\(%s\\)"
              vc-ignore-dir-regexp
              tramp-file-name-regexp))
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Best regards, Michael.

Subject: 29.0.50; Tramp: as root on remote SSH server: file is write protected, for -rw-r--r-- 1 admin admin 46587 Aug 5 20:42 websites
From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2022 07:39:06 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I remember I was editing this file many times, but now I am getting this
weird error:

Tramp: Checking ‘vc-registered’ for /scp:root@static:/etc/nginx/sites-available/websites...done
Note: file is write protected

  -rw-r--r-- 1 admin admin 46587 Aug  5 20:42 websites

While I am root on the remote server.

M-! whoami results with "root", so I am root, but file is reported as
write protected which is not so for root.

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 3, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo version 1.17.6, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2022-08-10 built on protected.rcdrun.com
Repository revision: e7b348b08ac5cea01141ece6b06f95c6d0b8c292
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101003
System Description: Parabola GNU/Linux-libre

Configured using:
 'configure --with-x-toolkit=lucid'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY
PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
WEBP X11 XAW3D XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=exwm-xim
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Dired by name

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny rfc822
mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util
text-property-search mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils cl-extra help-mode novice vc-hg vc-git
diff-mode easy-mmode vc-bzr vc-dispatcher dired-aux dired dired-loaddefs
tramp-cache time-stamp tramp-sh tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver
tramp-integration cus-edit pp cus-start cus-load icons wid-edit files-x
tramp-compat shell pcomplete comint ansi-color ring parse-time iso8601
time-date ls-lisp format-spec auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core
cl-macs cl-loaddefs cl-lib password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv rmc iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit
xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 97976 10048)
 (symbols 48 10723 2)
 (strings 32 34000 1247)
 (string-bytes 1 1032783)
 (vectors 16 19386)
 (vector-slots 8 265442 11741)
 (floats 8 68 73)
 (intervals 56 329 0)
 (buffers 992 14))

-- 
Jean

Take action in Free Software Foundation campaigns:
https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman
https://stallmansupport.org/