Subject: Re: bug#57232: [installer] ENTER in guided partitioner destroys partition table

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2022 01:40:42 +0200

Hi Mathieu,

Mathieu Othacehe 写道：
>> Er, I was… expecting that to mean it would pop up a pretty 
>> window or
>> something.  Is this really a feature?  Should it be?
>
> I'm not sure what's the point here.

I'm not sure whose point you're referring to, so I'll clarify 
mine.

Currently, pressing ENTER on a whole disc device wipes its 
partition table, or at  least did so for me (MBR).  That's an 
unexpected way ‘to change a disk's partition table’ even if it's 
technically true.

It wasn't clear to me whether it was intentional, or a bug, or 
perhaps a bit of both.  Hence my question.  I agree that we should 
warn before writing anything, but that's somewhat orthogonal.

I had rewritten the dialogue before encountering this issue, but 
it doesn't seem like I understand the intention behind the design 
very well.  I'll drop the UI-related patches and leave that effort 
to someone who does.

> we would be glad to get your support.

That wasn't the impression I got in response to some mild 
criticism, but thanks.  I'll keep working on it when I get that 
spare machine :-)

(I do consider the installer important to the project, even if I 
never claimed to be its target audience.)

Kind regards,

T G-R