Subject: Re: bug#57232: [installer] ENTER in guided partitioner destroys partition table

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2022 18:55:05 +0200

Hi Mathieu!

Mathieu Othacehe 写道：
>> What that does is immediately and without confirmation wipe the 
>> on-disc
>> partition table.  And its back-up.
>
> Oops, glad you were able to recover, I was also bitten in the 
> past.

My mistake for insisting on a bare metal test without a throwaway 
machine handy :-)

> The attached patch adds an extra confirmation page before wiping
> everything, WDYT?

Code looks all right.  I'll try it out.  Thanks!

The help text for users reads, in part:

  “You can change a disk's partition table by selecting it and 
  pressing ENTER.”

Er, I was… expecting that to mean it would pop up a pretty window 
or something.  Is this really a feature?  Should it be?

I have to be honest: I was extremely let down by the installer UX, 
*because* I read a lot of the code and can see how much effort 
went into it.  I hate pointing out that the partitioner is at once 
less useful and more dangerous than (system "fdisk").

:-/,

T G-R