Subject: Re: bug#5723: 23.1.94; make-network-process and emacs hangs

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 09:45:12 +0900

>>>>> On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 23:49:25 +0100, Helmut Eller <[email-masked]> said:

> * Stefan Monnier [2010-03-15 20:22+0100] writes:
>>> Could this be improved i.e. by wrapping it in with-local-quit?
>> 
>> If it's called somewhere where C-g doesn't work, yes it's a bug.

> make-network-process calls getaddrinfo and C-g doesn't work properly
> during that call.  It's only observable if the name server is slow
> or misconfigured.

> glibc has a asynchronous variant getaddrinfo_a (in libanl.so) which
> uses threads internally and quickly passes control back to the
> caller.  That could be used on GNU/Linux but the OP uses a Mac.

I guess OP's case is about `connect' rather than `getaddrinfo'.

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2009-08/msg00148.html

Leo, can you check where it blocks (using GDB), and whether giving
--without-sync-input as a configure option changes the situation
(using the X11 build, preferably)?

				     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
				[email-masked]