Subject: Re: bug#5722: 23.1; C-a unexpected behavior in minibuffer

From: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 11:39:20 -0400

Forwarding mail from bug reporter:

From: Tony Robalik <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Fwd: [Fwd: Re: bug#5722: 23.1; C-a unexpected behavior in minibuffer]]
To: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>

Hi,

I understand that what I've found is probably not a "bug", but a local problem
with my site-start.el file, but I've never modified that file, aside possibly
from installing aucTeX. I've attached the offending file. It's location, in my
work Windows laptop, is "C:\emacs-23.1\site-lisp". I get the same problems,
though, in my home Ubuntu laptop and in the Virtual Ubuntu machine I run on my
work computer. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

-------- Original Message --------
     Subject: Re: bug#5722: 23.1; C-a unexpected behavior in minibuffer
        Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 10:37:51 -0400
        From: Tony Robalik <[email-masked]>
Organization: Warwick Township
          To: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>
  References: <[email-masked]>

It only happens when I load emacs normally or when I load it with `emacs
--no-site-file'... shall I then assume it either has to do with site-start.el?

I'm not an emacs expert, and didn't even know there was a file called
`site-start.el'. Any ideas what the problem could be? See notes below.

Thanks,
Tony

A. If I

1. load emacs normally (either typing `emacs' at the prompt or clicking its
icon on my launch bar)
2. C-x C-f test
3. C-x C-w
4. C-a now goes to beginning of minibuffer (before the prompt).

B. If I

1. load emacs with `emacs -Q' from the command line
2. C-x C-f test2
3. C-x C-w
4. C-a goes to the expected (correct) location, after the prompt.

C. If I
1. load emacs with `emacs --no-site-file'
2. C-x C-f test3
3. C-x C-w
4. C-a goes to the beginning of the minibuffer (same problem as A).

D. If I

1. load emacs with `emacs -q' (lower-case) from the command line
2. C-x C-f test2
3. C-x C-w
4. C-a goes to the expected (correct) location, after the prompt.

Chong Yidong wrote:

        When finding a file (C-x C-f), I typically use C-a C-k to move to the
        beginning of the suggested search directory and kill it, so that I may
        quickly and easily type in the correct information. However, sometimes
        (usually not the first time I find a file in any given Emacs session),
        C-a moves to the very beginning of the minibuffer (before the prompt),

    Could you provide a recipe to reproduce this bug, beginning with
    `emacs -Q'?