Subject: bug#57215: ci: Fail to evaluate Guix specification

From: Christopher Baines <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2022 11:56:04 +0100

Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hey,
>
>> So, I think there's some involvement of grafts that mean you end up
>> building things when just trying to compute the derivation. But that's
>> as far as I got, I don't really understand why this is the case, or what
>> can be done about it.
>
> Thanks for sharing Chris, I tried to disable grafts, but I was not able
> to go any further:
>
> mathieu@berlin ~$ guix pull -s powerpc64le-linux -v3  --no-grafts
...

> guix pull: error: build of `/gnu/store/z7jij9k33bl8dm50zrhy97jxqwylx1s8-compute-guix-derivation.drv' failed
>
> Maybe we should open a specific bug-report for that particular issue?

I think the grafting comes in here [1], within the build-self.scm
script, and I think that the --no-grafts argument to guix pull doesn't
currently affect the behaviour at that point.

1: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/build-aux/build-self.scm#n350

That's where the patch here [2] comes in, as it makes it possible to
control the grafting behaviour at that point, at least enough to
demonstrate that there's some change in behaviour.

2: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2022-02/txtgzexu0El5b.txt