Subject: bug#5721: Feature request: Function that returns absolute coordinates

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2010 17:42:19 +0900

>>>>> On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 10:37:00 +0200, Jan Djärv <[email-masked]> said:

>>> I suspect x_real_positions fails to get the window for decoration
>>> for Compiz if visual effects are turned on.  Maybe Compiz does not
>>> assign X11 windows for window decorations.

> There are no other windows than X windows...  But the parent-child
> relationship may be different.

Yes actually there was a window-id that was obtained with
_NET_FRAME_WINDOW.

>> As far as I tested with xprop and xwininfo, _NET_FRAME_WINDOW
>> and/or _NET_[REQUEST_]FRAME_EXTENTS seem to be useful for
>> x_real_positions to do the documented job.  (Though I could not
>> find the former in EWMH.)

> Not portable for all window managers so we have to keep the old way
> anyway.  _NET_REQUEST_FRAME_EXTENTS is in version 1.4 of EWMH.

Yes, of course I meant try _NET_* first, and fall back on the old way
if not available.

				     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
				[email-masked]