Subject: bug#57201: 29.0.50; Input method doesn't work in Term char mode

From: Akib Azmain Turja <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2022 11:13:06 +0600

Phil Sainty <[email-masked]> writes:

> Akib Azmain Turja wrote:
>> I don't think so.  How can you input characters not on the keyboard
>> in Term char mode then?
>
> It's emulating a terminal.  In char mode you can't input *keys* that
> are not on the keyboard of the terminal being emulated.  That's the
> point of the emulation -- it's behaving as if you were using a real
> terminal rather than Emacs.
>
> We can switch to line mode when we want to use Emacs features that are
> not supported by the terminal.
>
>
>> And if it's really expected, please add an user option to configure
>> it.
>
> A user option to configure... what?
>
> Do you mean an option which would *allow* using input methods in char
> mode?  As above, I don't believe that makes any sense as a concept,
> so I don't see how that could work.
>
> (Perhaps someone else will correct me, though.)
>

Why it doesn't make sense?  IMHO the point of char mode is to bypass key
bindings like C-x, C-c, etc.  And if one wants to not use any input
method, they can disable it with "C-\".

-- 
Akib Azmain Turja

Find me on Mastodon at @[email-masked].

This message is signed by me with my GnuPG key.  Its fingerprint is:

    7001 8CE5 819F 17A3 BBA6  66AF E74F 0EFA 922A E7F5