Subject: bug#57200: 29.0.50; Symbol's function definition is void: update-directory-autoloads

From: Arash Esbati <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2022 13:33:45 +0200

Yasuhiro Kimura <[email-masked]> writes:

> Recently we updated editors/emacs-devel from 3d6af11c42 to 11e6c12def
> (both are commits in master branch of emacs repository) and after that
> we faced the problem. There are some ports in ports collections that
> depends on Emacs (ports of ELPA packages, for example). And some of
> such ports fail to build now. I analyzed build errors and found
> something in common.

I don't know about your build process and how your ports of ELPA
packages are built, but in case you have AUCTeX there and use it's make
file to build, it currently fails due to obsolescence of autoload.el. 

I have an idea how to fix it, but I need the issue described in
bug#57144 being resolved first.

> By the way I have also been chasing emacs master branch with 64bit
> Window 10 and MSYS2. So I built commit 11e6c12def with them and
> checked if same error happens. But it doesn't.  So the problem may be
> specific to FreeBSD or our editors/emacs-devel port.

Emacs itself builds fine for me on Win10.  I suspect the problem is in
the ports of ELPA packages you have.

Best, Arash