Subject: Re: bug#57199: 29.0.50; Processes spawned by Emacs become zombie after restarting

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2022 09:11:44 +0200

Akib Azmain Turja <[email-masked]> writes:

> IIUC, Emacs sends SIGHUP (from kill_buffer_processes in process.c) to
> all child processes to kill them just before exiting (or restarting),
> and Tor uses that signal as the reload signal.

[...]

> How can a process resist being killed?  SIGKILL is lethal, always.  Why
> kill-emacs sends SIGHUP while kill-process and delete-process sends
> SIGKILL?

Because we want processes started by Emacs to be allowed to shut down
gracefully upon Emacs exit, but with explicit `kill-process', we don't
care about that as much.

So the problem here is that you're starting a process that responds to
SIGHUP by not shutting down, and I don't think there's anything we can
do on the Emacs side to help with that.  Perhaps you can write a wrapper
script that does the right thing on HUP.

But I don't think there's anything to be done on the Emacs side here, so
I'm closing this bug report.