Subject: Re: bug#57168: [PATCH 00/14] Add a LightDM service.

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2022 22:33:19 -0400

Hi Maxime,

Maxime Devos <[email-masked]> writes:

> For the SDDM login manager, there is the problem that ~/.profile is
> not loaded and hence that the various search paths environment
> variables ($PATH, $INFOPATH, ...) are not set to
> ~/.guix-profile/bin/...: <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/56661>.
>
> Is this the case for lightdm? If so, maybe something similar as done
> for GDM could be done here: <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/56661#8>.

I just tried using:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
$(./pre-inst-env guix system vm -e '(@@ (gnu tests lightdm) %lightdm-os)') -m 1G -smp cores=4
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

And this is what I saw, logging in as 'root' graphically, starting xterm
and issuing:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
root@komputilo ~# echo $PATH
/run/setuid-programs:/root/.config/guix/current/bin:/root/.guix-profile/bin:/run/current-system/profile/bin:/run/current-system/profile/sbin
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Seems to be alright.

> Could be tested with a nice system test ...

What would the system test look like?

1. Login using the login manager (difficult unless using autologin --
I've tried).

2. Open a terminal, run 'echo $PATH' and run the OCR on it?  That
doesn't sound too great.

I've pushed the series for now, feel free to experiment with it!

Thanks,

Maxim