Subject: bug#57168: closed (Re: bug#57168: [PATCH 00/14] Add a LightDM service.)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 02:34:02 +0000

Your bug report

#57168: [PATCH 00/14] Add a LightDM service.

which was filed against the guix-patches package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
57168: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=57168
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#57168: [PATCH 00/14] Add a LightDM service.
From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
To: Maxime Devos <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>, L p R n d n <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2022 22:33:19 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi Maxime,

Maxime Devos <[email-masked]> writes:

> For the SDDM login manager, there is the problem that ~/.profile is
> not loaded and hence that the various search paths environment
> variables ($PATH, $INFOPATH, ...) are not set to
> ~/.guix-profile/bin/...: <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/56661>.
>
> Is this the case for lightdm? If so, maybe something similar as done
> for GDM could be done here: <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/56661#8>.

I just tried using:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
$(./pre-inst-env guix system vm -e '(@@ (gnu tests lightdm) %lightdm-os)') -m 1G -smp cores=4
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

And this is what I saw, logging in as 'root' graphically, starting xterm
and issuing:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
root@komputilo ~# echo $PATH
/run/setuid-programs:/root/.config/guix/current/bin:/root/.guix-profile/bin:/run/current-system/profile/bin:/run/current-system/profile/sbin
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Seems to be alright.

> Could be tested with a nice system test ...

What would the system test look like?

1. Login using the login manager (difficult unless using autologin --
I've tried).

2. Open a terminal, run 'echo $PATH' and run the OCR on it?  That
doesn't sound too great.

I've pushed the series for now, feel free to experiment with it!

Thanks,

Maxim

Subject: [PATCH 00/14] Add a LightDM service.
From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2022 02:50:06 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello Guix!

This adds a lightdm-service-type, which is based on the work of 'L p R n d n'
more than two years ago.  It reworks the way configurations are define (via
define-configuration), exposes VNC and XDMCP configuration options and adds
unit and system tests.

It works fine, but there are a few gotchas:

1. The session selection menu doesn't show the items.  I don't know why.
Perhaps a regresssion with newer GTK+.

2. Because of 1., you should specify a default session, otherwise you won't be
able to log in, as the default session is 'default.desktop', which doesn't
exist.

Thanks,

Maxim Cournoyer (14):
  services: configuration: Add a 'maybe-value-set?' procedure.
  gnu: accountsservice: Update to 22.08.8, enable doc and test suite.
  gnu: accountsservice: Provide a means to locate extensions.
  gnu: lightdm-gtk-greeter: Add GDK_PIXBUF_MODULE_FILE to wrapper.
  gnu: lightdm-gtk-greeter: Use the glib-or-gtk-wrap phase as-is.
  gnu: lightdm-gtk-greeter: Enable libklavier support.
  gnu: lightdm-gtk-greeter: Adjust default config file path.
  gnu: lightdm-gtk-greeter: Adjust --enable-at-spi-command value.
  gnu: lightdm: Apply patch to fix a problem with VNC integration.
  gnu: lightdm: Apply patch to allow using VNC options.
  gnu: lightdm: Apply patch to fix color depth issue with VNC.
  marionette: Improve the error message of 'wait-for-screen-text'.
  build: marionette: Add support for Tesseract OCR.
  services: Add lightdm-service-type.

 Makefile.am                                   |   1 +
 doc/guix.texi                                 | 209 +++++-
 gnu/build/marionette.scm                      |  79 +-
 gnu/local.mk                                  |   5 +
 gnu/packages/display-managers.scm             |  83 ++-
 gnu/packages/freedesktop.scm                  |  93 ++-
 .../patches/accountsservice-extensions.patch  |  25 +
 .../patches/lightdm-arguments-ordering.patch  |  54 ++
 .../patches/lightdm-vnc-color-depth.patch     |  81 +++
 .../patches/lightdm-vncserver-check.patch     |  66 ++
 gnu/services/configuration.scm                |   5 +
 gnu/services/lightdm.scm                      | 687 ++++++++++++++++++
 gnu/tests/base.scm                            |   4 +-
 gnu/tests/install.scm                         |   8 +-
 gnu/tests/lightdm.scm                         | 161 ++++
 tests/services/lightdm.scm                    |  52 ++
 16 files changed, 1508 insertions(+), 105 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 gnu/packages/patches/accountsservice-extensions.patch
 create mode 100644 gnu/packages/patches/lightdm-arguments-ordering.patch
 create mode 100644 gnu/packages/patches/lightdm-vnc-color-depth.patch
 create mode 100644 gnu/packages/patches/lightdm-vncserver-check.patch
 create mode 100644 gnu/services/lightdm.scm
 create mode 100644 gnu/tests/lightdm.scm
 create mode 100644 tests/services/lightdm.scm

-- 
2.36.1