Subject: bug#57161: 28.1.91; two column windows merge leaves 2nd column window showing

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2022 03:24:56 +0200

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> I've never used this mode before, and I'm kinda flabbergasted that
> something as esoteric as this is bound to <f2> by default.

That whole 2C library is a bit esoteric.

If you edit the remaining narrow window and try to merge (again), the
second column is actually doubled in the original buffer.  That narrow
window is useless, it's even harmful!

BTW, I tried a buffer with this contents:

1 11
2 22
3 33

If you place the cursor before the separator (space char) instead of
after it, C-x 6 s infloops.  Not nice.

I then though: Do these narrow windows maybe suggest that one can
iterate 2C processing to conveniently edit more than two columns?  But
no, that just messes the original buffer if you try.

So this bug report is one detail.  The whole library doesn't look very
intuitive and user friendly.  Maybe 0.02 users in the world understand
it and make good use of it.  Or maybe it has never been a good package.

I have tried to use it multiple times and was always disappointed about
the experience.  It gives an unfinished impression.  Seems not good that
it occupies F2, and also not good that it's built in.

Michael.