Subject: Re: bug#57152: 29.0.50; Emacs executable isn't rebuilt when loaddefs.el is modified

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2022 12:40:32 +0200

Gerd Möllmann <[email-masked]> writes:

> Could it be that src/Makefile is simply not invoked after lisp/Makefile
> has built loaddefs.*? In Makefile.in we have
>
> SUBDIR = $(NTDIR) lib lib-src src lisp
> ...
> all: ${SUBDIR} info $(gsettings_SCHEMAS:.xml=.valid)
>
> That is src comes before lisp.  Haching something like a second 'make
> -C' at the end seems to do something not entirely unreasonable.

Hm, interesting...  but I think we might end up in a situation where we
first build the Emacs executable, then update the loaddefs.el, and then
build the Emacs executable again.

But perhaps that's OK -- while we're scanning for new loaddefs every
build, there's seldom any new ;;;###autoloads, so the loaddefs.el file
doesn't update all that often.

I'm not quite sure where the second "make -C" would go, though.