Subject: Re: [bug#57151] [PATCH 1/2] gnu: Add tesseract-ocr-tessdata-fast.

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2022 08:52:25 -0400

Hi Simon,

Simon South <[email-masked]> writes:

> Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> writes:
>> * gnu/packages/ocr.scm (tesseract-ocr-tessdata-fast): New variable.
>
> Maxim,
>
> Would it not be better to generate a separate package for each of the
> languages and scripts this data covers, as is done by Debian for
> instance?  The entire dataset is about a gigabyte in size and supports
> more than a hundred languages yet I imagine most people would be using
> only one or two.
>
> This would mean tesseract-ocr could simply propagate the
> "tesseract-ocr-tessdata-fast-eng" package rather than cherry-picking a
> specific file, and would establish a convention that would be necessary
> for packaging the "best" dataset as well, if that's desired.

That's a good idea!  I think we could have both, like Debian also has a
'tesseract-ocr-all' package for all the languages/scripts.  Which means
the individual variants could be added in at a later time by those
interested, eh :-).

A procedure returning a language-specific package variant would make
sense for that.

Thanks,

Maxim