Subject: Re: [bug#57151] [PATCH 1/2] gnu: Add tesseract-ocr-tessdata-fast.

From: Simon South <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2022 07:27:35 -0400

Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> writes:
> * gnu/packages/ocr.scm (tesseract-ocr-tessdata-fast): New variable.

Maxim,

Would it not be better to generate a separate package for each of the
languages and scripts this data covers, as is done by Debian for
instance?  The entire dataset is about a gigabyte in size and supports
more than a hundred languages yet I imagine most people would be using
only one or two.

This would mean tesseract-ocr could simply propagate the
"tesseract-ocr-tessdata-fast-eng" package rather than cherry-picking a
specific file, and would establish a convention that would be necessary
for packaging the "best" dataset as well, if that's desired.

(Thanks for working on this; it's been on my to-do list for a while as
well.)

-- 
Simon South
[email-masked]