Subject: bug#8832: closed (Re: bug#5715: 23.1.91; setting `truncate-lines' disables multiline minibuffer input editing)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 18:33:02 +0000

Your bug report

#5715: 24.0.50; Line truncation in the minibuffer

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
5715: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=5715
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#5715: 23.1.91; setting `truncate-lines' disables multiline minibuffer input editing
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 14:31:40 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> (setq-default truncate-lines t)

This no longer affects the minibuffer.

Subject: 24.0.50; Line truncation in the minibuffer
From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 11:47:35 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

0. Start Emacs (emacs -Q).
1. Set line truncation on by default (setq-default truncate-lines 1).
2. Visit a remote file, with a long path, in a host that require login
(C-x C-f /myuser@host-that-require-login:/very-long-path-to-some-remote-file-that-i-want-to-visit-right-now).
Obviously, replace "myuser" and "host-that-require-login" with
suitable values of user/host (that require login) accessible from your
PC.

After step #2, there is a problem: The minibuffer prompt (in this case
"Password for myuser@host-that-require-login:") is not visible [1].
Even typing C-a, C-b, etc don't bring the prompt back.  This is very
disconcerting.

[1] See attached screenshot "minibuffer-truncate.png", and compare it
with the case when `truncate-lines' is turned off
"minibuffer-wrap.png".

Solution that I suggest for this: Create a variable
`truncate-lines-minibuffer', similar to `truncate-lines' but to
control line truncation only in the minibuffer.  The default value
would be 0 (off), because I think that line truncation is in general
counterproductive in the minibuffer (I what to see the prompt and
whole input I'm writing).

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2011-06-07 on 3249CTO
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.5) --no-opt --cflags
-Ic:/build/include'

-- 
Dani Moncayo