Subject: bug#57142: reporting an issue

From: Anton Wessel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2022 14:55:43 +0200

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

In KNOPPIX 9.1 I use parted version 3.4

I am trying to repair the USB stick

> SanDisk Cruzer Glide
> SDCZ60-256G-B35

which was destoyed by partclone.

Gparted shows red warnigs, that no filesystem can be found.

With Gparted I have often deleted the partition(s) and created various new 
patitions with partition tables msdos and gpt.

Yet not tried ntfs until yet.

Until yet all was of no help.

Now I am going on to make partitioning to ntfs and exfat.

For this I am now using the tool parted.

In the moment the non-working on the USB stick has the partition table msdos.

For the parted command "mkpart" the documentation "info parted" says:

PART-TYPE is one of "primary", "extended" or "logical", and may be 
specified only with "msdos" or "dvh" partition tables.

Now the problem is:

I intend to mkpart "ntfs",
 but nevertheless parted insists to type "primary".

Without giving "primary" I cannot progress, and with giving "primary" an 
error message is produced.

This is true for interactive operation as well as for non-interactive.

There is no way to use parted.

You want to receive with each bug report the output of the parted command

parted /dev/sdp unit s print free

(I have tried sdp and sdp1)

The output I cite here:

+++++

Model: SanDisk Cruzer Glide (scsi)

Disk /dev/sdp: 487391232s

Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/513B

Partition Table: msdos

Disk Flags:   (none)

Number  Start       End                Size  Type  FileSystem  Flags

                 2s          2047s            2046s  (none)  FreeSpace  (none)

1               2048s  487391231s  487389184s  primary  (none)  (none)

-----

Regards

Anton_Wessel@t-online
de